Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Picasso's "Dora Maar au Chat"

Dora Maar au Chat, 1941
(Dora Maar with a cat)
Picasso did some amazing cat paintings and I especially love the one with the cat holding a dead bird in its mouth. But this one, Dora Maar au Chat from 1941, is one of the world's most expensive paintings. (Hey, it looks like the little black cat I found!)
It sold for 92. 2 million recently, much less than Jackson Pollock's No. 5 which was 140 million or so. Does anyone understand the art market? This is my favorite thing in the world, that paintings are superior treasures and valued at prices beyond our understanding. I think it must be because paintings attempt to reveal something sacred. Maybe it reveals a place within ourselves that is beyond words. Paintings resonate with some kind of energy despite subject matter and content. Religion is all bogged down with words, rules and interpretations by your average human. But paintings are full of holy frequencies and vibrations combined with human and divine energies. How could it be otherwise? Well, what do you think? Whenever I am painting, I feel a presence around me...it is real yet unexplainable. It is like touching the divine that resides in the invisible realm...Definitely, When I paint I get into an alpha brainwave state. Supposedly, this opens us up to the whole universe...just my opinion, of course. Anybody else feel this way at times? If you are not a painter, you can reach the alpha state by watching fish in a fish tank! Anyway, I read this somewhere and it might be true.
I intend to put some paintings up here soon.
Thanks for all the interesting comments so far from writers who seem to be cats. Really glad you took the time to come by.


1 comment:

Diamond Emerald-Eyes said...

Maybe it just me, but it looks like Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz movie. Exept she have flying monkies, not black cats.